Saturday, March 8, 2014

The movement of Thomas' Summa

It has been argued that Thomas' Summa is an Eschatological Foundationalism (Jenson, ST I).  That is a wonderful description and I would like to own it for my own project.  I've been reading the Summa for the greater part of the last seven years.   I think I am starting to see a structure and movement to it:

  • Eschatological Foundationalism:   Borrowing from good neo-Platonic sources, we come from God and move back towards him. God is the telos of our existence. Our knowledge is rooted in this eschatological movement.
  • Theology Proper:  Thomas then discusses the nature and names of God.
  • Creation and Anthropology:  at the risk of oversimplifying hundreds of pages of difficult argumentation, Thomas is following the standard systematics approach.
  • Ethics (part 1):  Thomas' approach at this point might appear different from modern systematics in that he deals with ethics in the middle of his project.  Rather, Thomas' approach is normal:  most systematics dealt with ethics (or at least an exposition of the Decalogue) in the middle of the project.
  • Habits:  This is where I am now in my reading.  It's interesting that Thomas deals with habitus and virtu prior to the rest of the meatier theology (salvation in Christ, sacraments, church).  I wonder why that is.  I have a tentative answer:  habitus is our putting on the grace of Christ.  It's interesting that this comes logically prior, at least on Thomas' scheme, to salvation in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment